Monday, July 15, 2013

A great exercise.

If I am struggling with surface quality and need to stop myself from "petting the canvas to death" I will limit the amount of strokes that I allow myself.  That means covering the canvas from corner to corner, letting "the chips fall where they may" with a limited number of strokes.  I have to load the brush just so and calculate where the best place is to start in order to cover the chosen area in what I've allowed myself.  It's a lot of fun, a challenge and often it can give the painting an effortless looking feeling.  

"20 Strokes"


"20 Strokes"


"25 Strokes"

3 comments:

  1. I love these Peggi! I have to be brave and try something like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen,
    It is a lot of fun with some amazing results! Peggi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking now about "petting the canvas" to death! Honestly, I do this a lot and sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. So, I tried a version of your exercise yesterday and I'll say it certainly makes you decisive. I liked the extra texture on the board also. Kind of fun.

    Hey, I went to the Knowlton Gallery last week (don't know if you got my email) and I saw your work along with Ray and Dennis's work. It was a lot of fun to see it in person:) HOpe the show goes well.

    ReplyDelete