Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A few new works and "Nonsense Work No.1"

I wrote in an earlier post about how I was going to "explore more".  Well, I have been working in gouache and creating works to translate into larger pieces in oil.  I am hoping they will work up well to about 30" x 40" in size and I plan I limiting my number of strokes so that means using some BIG brushes.

"Palm in Window"
Gouache
8" x 6"


  

"Floral, Pink Vase"
Gouache
8" x 6"


Can you see this as a large oil painting?  We'll see.  I have to give it a shot.



"Nonsense #1"
Gouache



Now hence, part of the title of the post.  I am creating what I title "Nonsense Paintings No. 1"  and the numbers will go up from there.  I don't know the name of that poetry style where you "just write whatever pops into your head". Anyone know that?  So I am gathering reference, giving it no preplanning and just filling a page.  I am working in Gouache and am having so much fun.  That's what it needs to be.




Ok, while I was in Scottsdale teaching a workshop I revisited a few times, a favorite spot to paint.  We lived in Scottsdale for 13 years.  This pond is home to ducks and swans and geese.  It is so peaceful and in the middle of the city.  I have done many paintings here.  I stopped and did a few tonal works with my white and burnt umber gouache.  I miss this spot.  

4 comments:

  1. Peggi: You are the best! What a treat to have you share your lovely, warm home---and of course your beautiful work. Thank you!! I so enjoy what you share. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these pieces and I think they would be great in larger paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Peggi these are just great! "Pattern painting" at it's best! You are inspiring me to get some gouache and big brushes and just let it fly! Giving yourself permission to let go of safe and secure procedures is SO difficult, and you make it look like such fun! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggi,
    Everything you paint inspires me! Taking your class again in November was a turning point for me. You are the BEST teacher, and I tell Sherri at SAS constantly. I will send you some class demo pics, etc and a more thoughtful note after the holiday craziness.
    Have a wonderful Holiday with your family,
    Nancy Dunwell

    ReplyDelete